Oct 4, 2017

School Holiday Fun by Clare Connelly

Hi there, and thanks to everyone for the huge LoveCats welcome. It's such a delight to be included amongst these incredible writers, authors I have read for many, many years before I entertained any hope that I would ever join their ranks. It's very surreal to see my picture up there with theirs.

Since I self-published my first romance novel in mid-2014, it's been a crazy, amazing rollercoaster. But it's also been a struggle, at times,  to balance having small children (my daughter was two at the time I pressed 'publish', my son four) with work - but who doesn't feel that? And this - writing romance - is my dream job, so I wasn't going to squander the opportunity.

How I wrote a heap of books - back then. 

How I write a lot of books now, kitchen bench + wine.

Finding a work/life balance is always tough. I've struggled through school holidays and weekends, feeling intense mum-guilt that I've had to ignore my little people but knowing that it's too good an opportunity not to make the most of it. Also, I love what I do. When I'm not reading romance novels I'm writing them. This isn't just my work, it's my passion, and it absolutely devours me.

But, and I'm about to brag here, I think I've finally nailed it! Three terms into Grade One, and for the first time in forever, I've cleared my desk for the school holidays! I'll have some edits to do, and a little graphic stuff to tinker with, but this can be done at night, once the kids are in bed.

So I have two weeks coming up with my little people and I am going to make the most of it! They're now seven and five, by the way, and some of our favourite things to do together are cook, go on bike rides and swim at the beach, which is only a few minutes from our house.

Playground fun

Watching the sun set.

When you're not reading amazing romance novels, how do you spend your down time? Do you have any holiday rituals that help you unwind?

14 comments:

  1. Clare, it's so lovely to have you join our ranks!

    It sounds as if you're all going to have a whole load of holiday fun! :-) I hope you all have a ball. And you did name a couple of my favourite down time activities -- the beach (there are few things better than a walk on the beach), and cooking (playing with a new recipe can be such fun). Hmm...and I'll throw in the occasional Sunday drive in the country too -- I've found that pretty scenery is rather conducive to book dreaming, which is a nice fringe benefit. ;-)

    Enjoy your hols!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We do love a road trip - so long as there's coffee, and perhaps a winery lunch at the end of it ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Clare

    That sounds fab it is school holidays here as well at the moment and we have 2 of the grandkids living with us and keeping them occupyed can be hard they are 10 and 11 PlayStation movies visits to cousins and we had a road trip to Berry to the Treat Factory where they learnt about chocolate and they got to make some and bring it home for later 😀

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds perfect! What lovely memories you're making with them. x

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the Lovecats Clare, so lovely to see your posts here. I am a grandmother to two wee boys, eight and six. I look after them two days each week after school, but I have them for full days two days a week in the school holidays now too. Trying to keep them occupied is fun but tiring. The keep me on my toes for sure. I am fast asleep within a few minutes of my head hitting the pillow on those nights. Good luck with your school holiday fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids are exhausting, aren't they! But what beautiful ages. I have found the parenting gig it so much more fun as the kids have got older. The baby stages are lovely too, of course, but it's now that they are reading and drawing and playing board games that I feel like we can really tackle great holiday activities. My guys are loving UNO and Monopoly at the moment, which is lots of fun. You're such a good grandmother to have them so often - what special memories to have with them. :) xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Clare, we love the beach in the holidays too, especially now it's warming up! Usually each holidays we like to do an activity we don't usually get to do during the school term. Usually we do an art class, but last holidays the boys did a circus class. They loved it! :) Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Circus class sounds amazing! I'm hoping to get my kids into swimming lessons these holidays - we've dropped the ball a bit there and now that they're older I'd like to take them to the beach without making them wear floaties haha! xx

      Delete
  5. Oh ditto ditto ditto! Finding that 'balance' between being with your little ones as much as you can and the desire to give your writing your best is a big thing. I bet you've been through those times when you felt guilty about not writing when you were with the kids, and guilty about not being with the kids when you wrote. A few years into the process now I've come to realise its a fluid thing, and ever-evolving. What it all comes down to is finding your bliss - as a mum and in the work you love. Be more forgiving of yourself - of lapses, of life getting in the way of work, of tight deadlines eating into home time. It all works out in the end. Love what you do and your kids understand its part of who Mum is. And taking a break during the holidays? Manna for the soul. Restful and restorative. As above - bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly right! It's a constant guilt, squeezing around your chest. You should be writing when you're mumming and vice versa. I love the idea of being able to schedule some time off to correspond with their holidays, as much as possible. x

      Delete
  6. Clare, how wonderful that you've managed to clear the school holidays for family time! That's an amazing feat. I still struggle with the family/work balance and my kids aren't little any more.

    For me, reading, getting outside and doing something unconnected with writing, like walking or taking in great views, or sitting in the sunshine brunching with friends, are great ways to unwind. Here's hoping you feel relaxed and rejuvenated by the end of your break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard, isn't it! Next year, my little girl will be at school full time and I am not going to know myself.

      Delete
  7. The beach! I love just staring at the ocean and hearing its ever faithful beat against the shore. There's something so restorative about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Clare, how nice to be reading your first post as a LoveCat! Those years of juggling day job, writing and child (I only have one) seem a bit of a blur now. People used to ask how I did it and I never really knew - only that television went almost completely by the board. So glad to see you've cleared the decks for the school holidays. It sounds such a cliche but they do grow up so quickly and those times are precious. My favourite holidays are by the water, away from the tyranny of alarm clocks and schedules and not having to do housework!

    ReplyDelete