Jul 21, 2017

Creative Friends.....



I love being an author. And I'm very grateful that I have readers who enjoy reading my stories and I hope I'll be doing it for many years to come. That being said, I also have a full time day job - I manage a busy furniture store in the town near where I live. I've been in the retail/customer service industry for most of my working life and have had a very rewarding career over the years.

But someone asked me the other day why I 'work' when I could just 'write'.

And I replied as I always do - because I want to. Because writing is a creative task and I always need to fill the well of creativity that gets depleted up every time I put fingers to keyboard and write a book. And working fills that well. Leading a team, making decisions, achieving KPI's - all the things that are part of the day job, somehow fill up the space.

I once heard the expression  - "Busy people get more done", and for me, that's very true.

What I love about creativity is that it comes in so many forms, art, song, dance, design, food preparation. And I'm grateful that I have many creative friends - not only authors, but talented people who pursue other ventures. I have a friend who recently painted an abstract piece for me for my living room. I have another friend who makes the most amazing desserts that truly are a work of art.

And then there's the sublime work of a dear friend on mine - The Flower Grocer.

 
 What she can do with flowers and foliage is absolutely amazing. The pictures below are from a beautiful wedding she recently styled. Check out The Flower Grocer Facebook page to see a full range of her incredible work. Such talent!

 
 
 
Such a beautiful bridal bouquet. 



 Do you have creative friends? Or do you dabble in creative pursuits yourself?


16 comments:

  1. Love those flowers, Helen. What a talented lady your friend is. One of my close friends decorates cakes that are works of art and how anyone can put a knife into them is beyond me. Another makes her home look beautiful with everyday things from the little shops in the mall. I stick to my writing though enjoy sewing, patchwork and needlework I don't think I'm overly creative there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue - I always admire someone who can decorate a cake...the intricacy is amazing. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Helen

    Those flowers are gorgeous for myself I am not creative at all but I do have a bestie who is fabulous as sewing and crafting so many wonderful things quilts bags you name she does it and I am in awe of her, I have so many beautiful items here at home and my grandchildren have been the lucky recipients of gifts as well, for me reading I love :)

    I have heard that saying many times that busy people get more done and I think it is so true.

    I am reading your newest now and loving it :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H Helen - I love those quilted bags! My mother in law has made me a few and I use them for my grocery shopping. Delighted that you're enjoying The Rancher's Unexpected Family - he might just be my favorite hero so far :)

      Delete
  3. I so admire people who can arrange flowers well, Helen. My attempts always look lopsided....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, I admire creative people so much and, funnily, need to remind myself that writing is also a creative art. Is it because we become too familiar? I imagine your day-job grounds you as well as filling the creative well, and you can't wait to get home and work on the ideas that have been brewing all day.

    Love your friend's work. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H Bron - yes, exactly - the day job makes me write with more purpose, I think. And yes, my friend is very talented...and just about the nicest person you could meet, too :)

      Delete
  5. I love flowers, Helen, but the best I can do is dump them in a vase -- it's a disaster if I try to do anything more. Your friend's work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle - sometimes the vase dump can turn out to be creative too! sort of random and unstructured lol :)

      Delete
  6. I have to admit I am a crafty girl! I loved working as a registered nurse, and enjoyed do crafts in my spare time (sewing, needlecrafts, scrapbooking, jewelry making, making Christmas decorations), and my college major was Art education before I switched to nursing and job security. I still love to craft, and over the years I have squirreled away enough craft supplies to fill my small extra bedroom and last me a long time. I don't do floral arranging....allergies to lilies, mums and daisies pretty much rules that out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie - ha, I am jealous of your craftiness! And I love hand crafted Christmas decorations :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Helen, your friend's flower arrangements are beautiful. That's a skill I would like too. I have quite a few creative friends. One is an artist, she is very talented. Recently I commissioned her to paint a small picture for a special friend's significant birthday. I picked it up yesterday and I was not disappointed. I hope my friend likes it as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kandy - how lovely to get something so special made. What a lovely gift. :)

      Delete
  8. Helen, what lovely flowers. I used to watch my mum making wedding bouquets - amazing to watch as she was so dextrous and didn't seem to pause but just worked incredibly quickly and the results were amazing - years of practice. Creativity comes in so many different forms, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Annie - what a wonderful memory to have of your mother. Creativity does indeed come in many forms :)

    ReplyDelete