Feb 14, 2014

Of Writers and Friends

Seems to be the thing at the moment. Writers spending time with their writer friends. And I'm not missing out. Today I'm heading into Blenheim to what we call The Cottage to spend the weekend with my writing group, my writing friends. The people I can spill my guts about editors, agents and the market in general.

Two other Lovecats will also be there - Louisa George, who's flying in from Auckland, and Barbara DeLeo. As I'm writing this I'm thinking hairdryer, towel, chocolate, (oops - cancel that one) makeup, shoes and looking at the empty bag on the end of the bed. It's quite small so maybe I'll leave out the walking gear.

These weekends are for some intense writing sessions and brainstorming and general chat about what's going on in the writing world and who's doing what.


                                                                 We work very hard.

 
 
 
We keep our fluid levels up.
 

 
 
We maintain our energy levels.
 

 
 
We don't watch DVD's, read magazines or wear sloppy clothes.
 

Okay, so that bag is looking smaller by the minute. I'll ditch the slippers to make room for the chocolate. Damn, that word just keeps popping up. I meant to say sunscreen and hat for when we go on a walk - except I'm leaving the walking shoes behind. Maybe I'll get another bag down and take everything. Jeepers, anyone would think I didn't get out very often.
The fact is I love going away, whether for a weekend or a month, and I especially enjoy spending time with my writing friends. I always come home invigorated and ready for another battle with my current story.
Do you have a particular group of people you love to spend time with away from home?

16 comments:

  1. Yes, and they're the same one as yours! I DO like the look of some of those energy boosters and liquid refreshments, Sue! See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And aren,t we having a good time, Barb.

      Delete
  2. I loooooove weekends away with writer friends - its nice to be amongst others crazy too! :-) Hope you all have a fabulous and productive time!

    I'm very excited because next month my husband and I are going on a road trip with two friends of our - my BFF and her hubby. We haven't been on a road trip together, sans children in over 20 years! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definity fabulous, Amy, and by the sound of fingers on keyboards probably productive.
      Have a blast on that trip, too.

      Delete
  3. Sue

    I too love getting away with friends and we do that about maybe a couple of times a year with my romance reader friends from ARRA and what a time we have whether we are at the ARRA convention every 2nd year or at the ARRA awards dinner (which is next month :) ) or the romance reader retreat that Debbie organizes and we have lots of fluid lots of chocolate and lollies and games to play and I so look forward to any of these I always come away with more books and recomendations :). Have a great time

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, that sounds like heps of fun, and i bet you feel rejuvenated afterwards. I already feel better than I did yesterday.

      Delete
  4. Looks like it will be a great weekend, Sue. Getting away with friends is always reinvigorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clare, we are having a blast. Oh, and getting some work done too.

      Delete
  5. Sounds fab! Have fun, Sue (and Louisa and Barb)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, we're sitting in the middle of a vineyard and the weather is perfect. Life,s good.

      Delete
  6. Lucky girls, can't wait to read the new story that involves walking (with shoes) - and maybe some chocolate for sustenance, and of course the liquids so you don't get dehydrated. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No dehydration going on here, Clare. Or walking. Chocolate has been seen quite often.

      Delete
  7. I can't think of a group of friends/people that I love spending time away with at this time. While I do love spending time with my extended family, I often find I need a holiday after returning from spending time with them so while I do love the time, I'm sure there are others that I enjoy spending time with.

    The writing weekend with Louisa and Barbara sounds fantastic. I also understand the concept of not enough space for packing well - I've noticed since I bought my car that I am less picky about what goes with me because it behaves like a bag extension. I guess in the future that will depend on how I'm getting to wear I'm going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, you,re on to it. The car holds an amazing amount of have to haves. Not that I have needed more than what I put in the bag.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you are going to have a blast, Sue.!! Isn't chocolate essential for good writing??

    I also love going away for a weekend, a month, a year, I love a change of scene.

    Have fun and write like the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, your get-togethers always sound amazing. Hope you had a ball!

    ReplyDelete