Nov 23, 2011

Finding true-life LOVE AT THE END OF THE ROAD


Welcome to Lovecats, Rae and a congratulations on the fabulous reception your debut book Love at the End of the Road. Can you tell us a little about what it is about?
It’s the story of my life after meeting Rex Roadley, a beef and sheep farmer, through a dating service. After driving miles down a windy road, I found his historic home, Batley House, on the shores of the Kaipara Harbour in Northland, New Zealand. Rex was more difficult to find - he was out fishing! 
The book is a memoir which it covers our lives together, farming, life at Batley before and after European settlement, the house and our community.

It’s a very honest, open account of your life. Was it hard to write about yourself so personally?
Very difficult, but I knew the story of our relationship and my life as I adapted to rural living would engage readers. I worked in an upstairs bedroom or the terrace overlooking the harbour.

Your book reminds me of Under the Tuscan Sun. Clearly you fell in love with the man, but it seems you also fell in love with the house and the area.  Is that right?
I thought Batley House was big and cold, but was soon enchanted. In the late 1800s, it was the area’s social centre. The local people were welcoming and I soon got involved, even judging a Young Farmer of the Year event.

The book combines a love-story with re-inventing yourself, house renovations, the history of the Kaipara, and life on the farm and in a rural community. How did you achieve the balance with all these themes?
I wanted the story to be engaging and compelling. I wove other aspects through our personal story, aiming for light touch.
After several drafts, I went through the manuscript with highlighters: our story was red (for love); the farm story was green (for grass); history was orange; the house pink; gardening and fishing yellow
When I found ‘chunks’ of one colour, I shuffled text until the story was balanced. I was determined the history would be readable and worked hard to include it in a natural way.

Rex is gorgeous – archetypical Kiwi male all the way through - so how has he coped with suddenly becoming the hero of a book that’s leaping off the shelves?
He is gorgeous - I’m glad you spotted that. He’s been great, droll as ever. When Tessa Chrisp, the amazing photographer who did the cover shot, he knew what he wanted to wear while I dithered. He’s funny and relaxed which makes him a great character in the book, which he read as I wrote it.
During the Your Home and Garden photo shoot, he sat at the head of the dining table drinking coffee while the stylists fluffed around making it look fabulous for the Christmas issue. 

Can you tell us a bit about the process of writing this book?
Penguin gave me the idea after I’d submitted some of my newspaper columns. As I wanted the book to be fun to read, I did an online course at NorthTec - I couldn’t back out.
As part of the course, I had a mentor and reviewed 10 books in my chosen genre, figuring what worked and what didn’t.
I reviewed books by Bill Bryson and James Herriott as well as Living with the Laird by Belinda Rathbone. NZ titles were  Weather Permitting by Heather Heberley, and On the Wings of Mercury by Lorraine Moller.
Others worth reading are Susan Duncan’s, Salvation Creek (it’s Australian), plus The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary-Ann Shaffer, quirky, delightful fiction.

You’ve struck gold with your first book. Are you an overnight success?
The answer is no! I’ve worked in public relations and have a journalism qualification. I started creative writing in the 1980s and have belonged to writing organisations for years, among them Romance Writers of NZ.
Last year Penguin saw my book and wanted more, I was runner-up in a story contest,  then my single-title novel rated in the Clendon Awards.
After the book launch, people contacted me to say they’d loved my book, that it had made then laugh and cry (don’t worry, I don’t think everyone cried). That’s when I finally relaxed.

Why do you think it’s hitting a chord with so many readers?
I think the issues I’ve faced resonate with people: my mum died when I was 19 and I lost my way in life and love - and found it again; after meeting Rex I took a plunge into a new life - and survived; the book shares heartbreaks and breakthroughs. It’s funny and honest. Several people at Penguin said it read like fiction, which, as you say, hits a chord with readers.

Thank you, Rae.


Please feel free to ask a question or leave a comment and be in to win a copy of this heart-warming book. 
Rae can also be visited at her website:  www.raeroadley.co.nz

40 comments:

  1. Zana - a lovely intro, thank you so much. Looking forward to a day of chat, Rae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rae

    This books sounds fantastic it must have been wonderful driving up that road and seeing the house for the first time and then having to find Rex out fishing.

    Congrats on the release

    have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rae, your book sounds fascinating. I'll be looking out for it. The Kaipara Harbour is a lovely area. My uncle lived there for years and always brought us lots of fish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Rae

    I'm enjoying your book very much - it's sitting on my bedside cabinet.
    I had the privilege of reading some of Rae's earlier drafts because we were in the same writing course at Polytechnic. Rae taught me a lot about writing and I'm very grateful for that. Reading those drafts, I knew we had a winner in the class. It's a gorgeous read, and I do love the picture with Rex snoozing and the 3 black cats snoozing altogether on his legs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helen... funny thing - back then a huge pine tree obscured the house, so I drove on, 100 meters or so, to the end of the road where I took great care to avoid Rex's ute, parked with the boat trailer. He crashed the ute the next day! Thanks for your congrats, Rae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue - the fish are amazing - flounder, mullet, snapper... and scallops at the mo - it's the season. Lucky uncle - and lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joanne - thanks for your kind words... and you taught me. He's a man who likes cats - and dogs, he even revived a teeny chicken. Penguin's graphic designer had the idea of putting b/w throughout which gave much wider scope for pix in the inserts, hence a few comic shots. Best, R

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rae and Zana,
    Thanks for a lovely interview. It's great you were an "overnight" success Rae after so long in the game! :)

    I like your highlighter balancing system - and the reasons for your colours. It's a great way to see what's on your page.

    I'll add your book to my Christmas list, Rae. It sounds like a book I'll love.

    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm starting to know my way around New Zealand and Australia a bit on Google Earth. Now I'll have to find your bay. Thanks for a great blog Zana and Rae. Rae your dogs are beautiful. One of the features that we never miss at the Calgary Stampede is the sheep dog trials. The dogs are amazing and so well trained.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cath, thanks for the Christmas list addition. I got the highlighter method from Margie Lawson who led a full day workshop at an RWNZ conference a few years ago. I also did an online seminar with her - she's energetic, inspiring and full of useful writing tips. Rae

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kaylee, friends who've been to the 'stampede' loved it, said it was incredible - and huge - covers a vast area. My dog is amazing... but not so well trained. Last time I checked Google Earth, two vans were parked outside our shed - the builders were revamping our tired old bathroom. Rae

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous story, Rae, and the book looks like the perfect gift that would appeal to all sorts of people (I'm thinking of a few on my list right now! - and who doesn't love a real romance?) Fabulous cover too - I just skipped over to the website - I want to read that book now. All the best for it, Rae. What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jo, Thanks for the kind words. The book would be a great gift. "Ticks all the boxes for Christmas," according to Penguin. Re what's next - I don't know. Juicy snippets emerging from the family closet might make for interesting writing. And the single title novel commended in the Clendons begs for a rewrite. I never dreamed I'd write a memoir, and the theme, 'love at the end of the road', not just ours which carries the story, but of the many people who've lived and loved here, emerged as I wrote. It would be great to be a planner, but for me writing's organic - fun but scary. Hope you enjoy the book. Rae

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab interview, Zana and Rae!

    I love the sound of Love At The End Of The Road! I think the blending of a love story with all those other elements -- reinventing yourself, house renovations and history -- will make for compelling reading. I'm really looking forward to curling up with your book, Rae.

    So pleased you found time to visit the LoveCats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI Rae, good buddy. So thrilled for you. But I want to know how you managed to have a last name like Roadley and a book title about the end of the Road. Reckon the whole thing - the man, the house, the book - was always meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello everyone. Great to see the party has been in full swing while I've been working.

    Isn't Fate/Destiny interesting, Jenn. It really does all come together nicely, doesn't it - names, themes etc.

    Gotta love a man who loves dogs, cats and chickens!
    Zana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Michelle, thanks, hope you enjoy the book. Tessa Chrisp made us look so good - am sitting here in my overalls having just done a spot of work at the woolshed ahead of shearing on Monday. Rae

    ReplyDelete
  18. And here's another strange thing, Jenn (who's been a fabulous critique partner), my signature is so like the loopy 'Road' on the cover I asked the graphic designer if she'd chosen a matching font - she said 'no'. Cheerio - and best luck with the agent, Rae

    ReplyDelete
  19. I must read this book! Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rae, what a stunning house. I'm not surprised you had to include its own story within your book.

    Not sure I could write about myself like you have (but I love to read others journeys *grin*).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rae was very brave, wasn't she! But then, if I'd had a journey like hers.... Mine, alas, is rather less romantic :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Anita, yes, it was challenging - I'd lock myself away and sink into intense concentration. I figured I was sharing nothing illegal or immoral, but aspects of life that resonate: love, loss, sense of self, but with lightness and humour. I also figured: do it once and do it well as I can. Many people have told me I've written with a light touch, but I wanted readers to enjoy the journey and have fun. Hope you enjoy my journey, Rae

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ha! Bet yours was wonderfully romantic, Zana. You must tell me sometime....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome to the LoveCats, Rae! Great interview, Zana!

    Rae, your book sounds fantastic with the different stories woven through the pages. It's going on my Xmas wish list!

    What a great way to meet the love of your life - I'm looking forward to finding out more! But I still think you're incredibly gutsy driving all the way down that winding, country road to meet someone you didn't know for the first time!

    :)
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, Sharon. Yep, it was a weird feeling, then I tackled the drive the wrong way and ground to halt while people on the terrace flapped their arms at me to indicate my mistake.... Thanks for putting it on your wish list, Rae

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rae, your story sounds wonderful and the photo on the cover is stunning!! Look forward to reading your book and congrats on its release.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A real life HEA. I'm loving this. How wonderful to share your story with others. Brave too I think.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Helene & Marybelle - thanks. It was scary - rescue remedy before the book launch - then people read it and said kind things. My fear evaporated ... I suspect the publisher knew that would happen, maybe it's how every author feels - I'll have to ask. Rae

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think the publishers showed how much faith they have in your book by the way they made it look so beautiful. They've done a lovely job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG Rae, Rescue Remedy comes in lozenges now! LOL I discovered them before conference last August. Great for pitches.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Zana, thanks. Yes, Penguin sure invested in it - I was amazed and delighted - and I've been working with a great publicist, Sarah Thornton, who's now freelance having headed the Random House team. She's achieved clever things, with more to come. Thanks so much for hosting me on Lovecats, Zana, it's been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jenn, my friend, love your support - thanks for dropping in and for that big Tweet that got picked up... very cool. I'll keep the lozenges in mind, nothing scarier than pitching. Go well and thx, Rae

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovecat visitors, the newspaper columns that led to this book are on my blog - raeroadleywrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Zana, thanks for everything. Penguin certainly invested in it - I'm impressed and delighted - plus they brought in ace publicist, Sarah Thornton, now freelance having headed the Random House team. She's done great things, more publicity to come. Happy writing... Rae

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'd just like to thank Rae for coming onto Lovecats to share her life and her writing with us. I think everyone has been bowled over by both by your honesty and your courage in producing this lovely book.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great interview! This book sound fabulous and I would love to read it. I love reading books like this they are so heart warming. Thanks for sharing your book with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for joining us here, Rae! Those books are some of my fave reads. I look forward to reading yours. Congrats on the success!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Rae, what a fascinating journey! The house, your man and your dogs are all so gorgeous on the cover that I wouldn't be able to resist picking up Love at the End of the Road if I saw it on the shelves. In fact, I might just go searching... :)

    Thanks for visiting us!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks Lovecats, for your kind words and generosity. A fun day, and check out Margie Lawson's online courses - her highlighter method works. Big thanks to Zana, who invited me to blog moments after we'd met. In my article about promotion in the December 2011 Heart to Heart, RWNZ magazine - Lovecats gets a mention - of course! Thank you all! Rae.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very interested to read your book. I stayed there as one of those children of solo parents. I loved the place ,rowing around down at the beach and having sea food every Sunday for lunch.

    ReplyDelete