Jun 23, 2010

The Muse: Unveiled

Listening to: Rockstar by N.E.R.D

Reading: Powerful Italian, Penniless Housekeeper by India Grey

Watching: FIFA world cup and Wimbledon

Making me smile: Husband's oddball personality

After having a rather ho-hum couple of months writing-wise, I had one of those glorious writer moments the other day where a story idea took hold and wouldn’t let go. In fact, I couldn’t keep up to the light bulbs going off in my head one after the other, which is pretty overwhelming for me considering I’ve never once known the ending to a story. (Endings aren’t my thing).

I’m a self-confessed pantser, but I expect knowing the major plot points of this story-in-the-making is going to see me type a whole lot quicker—I hope—while still leaving room to stretch my wings! Seems my recalcitrant muse has simply been lurking, ready to unveil its brilliance... okay, won't get too carried away, but I really was on a high all day =)

My question is, as a reader is it obvious to you whether or not a writer is a plotter or a pantser? Can you see if the story is well thought out or perhaps too predictable, if the story veers erratically or perhaps seamlessly falls into place even as it surprises/shocks in a good way?

http://icanhascheezburger.com/

10 comments:

  1. Hi Mel! I'm a definite plotter. I see the whole story in my head like a movie (although the story can change a bit while I'm writing). Your question is a good one! I've never given any thought to whether my favourite authors are plotters or pantsers. Now, I want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel --
    Glad to hear your muse is keeping you busy! Nothing better than the words flowing.

    Interesting question on whether a reader can tell an author is plotter or pantser. I think most non-writer readers wouldn't even give it a thought.

    I've read some convoluted stories that would lead me to assume the writer is a pantser and some very neat and almost-too-tidy plots that I'd think were from plotters...but I guess you never can be sure.

    At the end of the day, the best stories are the ones that make my writing brain switch off, where I get lost in the story and I just don't care if they're a plotter or a pantser (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily,
    I'm almost envious of plotters who know in advance the story, it just doesn't seem to work for me, kinda turns off my jos-for-writing switch - until now!!! LOL
    See how I go =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna,
    yep, that's all I ask of my writing - a nice steady flow - all the time!! (g)
    And I guess what works brilliantly for one writer, would be a disaster for another. It's just nice to look indepth sometimes and wonder... =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Mel, how wonderful to have a story idea take hold and fire for you! I've had it happen a couple of times, but more often than not it's sweat and headaches :-)

    Have been pondering your question about whether it's possible to tell whether the writer of the book one is reading is a plotter or pantser. I certainly can't tell the difference, but I do sometimes sense when a book has maybe been edited and polished until there's too little life and soul left in it. It can be a fine line sometimes, I guess.

    I hope your new story is a joy to write!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mel - a definite pantser here... but I long to be reborn as a plotter! I'm planning my conversion... before the next WIP! yes, Yes, YES! Oh, well... it was a nice little fantasy while it lasted! LOL!

    Interesting thought about whether it's possible to tell if an author is a plotter or a pantser. But I'm with Anna - as long as I can lose myself in the story, I'm happy!

    Fab that your muse has been giving you revelations - I hope she keeps up the good work! Very exciting!
    :)
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel, congrats on your muse's return! I'm a plotter - I feel like if I know where the story is going, I can relax and my imagination is more free to explore the here and now of where the characters are at. Though I do think it would be fun to write as a pantser!

    Looking forward to reading your new story. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle, I know exactly what you mean - I love my writing obviously, but mostly it really is sweat and headaches!
    Overediting - you're right about that. Its' something I have to rein in myself =(

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY Sharon!!
    another pantser =)
    I'll convert when you do LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel you're definately a plotter, and I couldn't imagine you any other way! Why fix what aint broke!? LOL.

    ReplyDelete