Reading: A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole
Watching: American Idol! (Can’t help it, I’m addicted)
Listening to: The Battlestar Galactica Soundtracks
Making me smile: Hubby’s back from a work trip!
Since this is a blog for people who love to read (and write!) category romance, I thought I’d share 5 things I love about category:
1) SIZE: It’s not how big it is, it’s what you do with it! Category books are shorter so I can squeeze a great story in between work, writing, family, shopping, cleaning, blogging, Tweeting etc etc. And I love to read and write Nocturne Bites, which are short stories and the perfect length to fit into a busy day.
Image: Alexey Arkhipov | Dreamstime.com
2) NO DISAPPOINTMENT: I hate when I pick up a book thinking it’s going to give me what I want and instead all my favourite characters are dead by Chapter 3, the guy doesn’t get the girl and the hero turns out to be a wimp! With category, I know the books will deliver what they promise (and no, that doesn’t mean the stories are the same).
3) RANGE: I get a huge, new selection of books EVERY month! An obsessive-compulsive reader’s dream.
Desire = wealthy alpha heroes and thrilling settings
Medical = hot guy in scrubs or a white coat (need I say more)
Romance = warm happily-ever-afters that leave me smiling
Nocturne = intense alphas in dark, sensual, action-packed stories
Spice = Bold, naughty and HAWT!
Historical = get whisked away to amazing places from the past
SuperRomance = big stories of love, life and family
4) EMOTION: No matter which genre of category romance you pick up, you’re guaranteed emotion. You’ll feel the intense ups and downs of falling in love—whether the characters are doctors, tycoons, vampires, businessmen, firemen or rakes. I once heard a reader describe category books as her illicit drug—her quick hit of intense emotion! I thought that was a great way to describe them.
5) PRICE: They’re cheaper! Yep, they’re shorter, but I get the same satisfaction regardless the length of a story, so that’s more bang for my buck. And the Harlequin and Mills and Boon websites offer discounts or bundle ebooks for great deals.
So how about other readers out there? What do you love most about category romance?